Thursday, March 29, 2012

Tagging and Folksonomy

I went to Amazon.com and searched for the book I'm currently reading - A Clash of Kings by George R. R. Martin. I looked at tags customers created. Most of them were good, but a few did not seem to fit. Example: the fallen angle. I'm assuming they've misspelled the word angel. Even still, there isn't a fallen angel in the book. Another one: mediocre. How is this helpful? I see tagging as useful for Amazon and its customers because more product will be sold if people click on some of the tags like the author's name or the genre's type (fantasy, high fantasy, etc.). They will be led to additional books containing similar subject matter. Customers buy more books; Amazon makes more money.

How can I transfer this knowledge to my future library? Well, in the card catalog I believe there is a tagging option where you can connect students to other books they may enjoy. Additionally, the concept could be transferred to signage in the library. Example: If you like books about cats, you may enjoy: _____"

My Flickr account has pics of my chickens. I used tags like: chickens, Easter eggers, backyard chicken. This will help anyone who is looking for other pics of chickens to find my site.

No comments:

Post a Comment